Guidelines for the process of reissue of passport and procedure for issuance of Police Clearance Certificate
- Application for reissue of passport can be submitted from one year before expiry of passport.
- All signatures in the application form should be signed with ballpoint pen of blue or black ink. Those who cannot affix their signature like infants, minors or illiterates they should put their thumb impression in place of signature (male should use left thumb impression and female should use right thumb impression.
- The signature of the applicant should exactly fit in the prescribed signature box provided. The applicant should fill the surname column and the given name column correctly.
- In the permanent address (in India) column, please ensure that there is complete postal address in including PIN (Postal Index Number) code.
- It is an offence under the Passport Act 1967 to furnish false information in the application. Passport facilities would be denied on grounds of suppression of material information, submission of incorrect particulars, willful damage/loss of passport or for unauthorized change/tampering. The passport can be impounded or revoked for violation of one or more of the provisions of the Passport Act.
- Change of personal particulars: If someone wishes to change his/her personal particulars in the Passport, he/she needs to apply for re-issue of a new passport as the practice of hand written endorsements on passport has been ceased.
- Split of name: Splitting of given name into First Name and Surname is allowed subject to production of at least two public documents in the said name.
- Change of surname due to Marriage / Remarriage / Divorce: Only details to be provided in the application form.
- In other circumstances for change of name, the applicant (both male and female) should furnish the following:
Clippings of two prominent newspapers (one in India and one in current place of residence) or the Gazette Notification of the concerned State Government, as the case may be
At least two public/school documents issued in the desired/applied changed name to ascertain that the applicant has actually change name.
In case of applicants and their dependent family members who have been staying abroad on long term work visa (CERPEC etc), two public documents in the changed name issued by local authorities may also be accepted. This would not be applicable for temporary residents and visitors from India.
Delivery of the serviced document would be done, preferably to the applicant himself/herself or to the person authorized by the applicant in writing and accompanied with the official receipt given to him/her at the time of submission of the application for service.
Submission of application for reissue of passport
- The passport application should be filled online on the following link: https://passport.gov.in/nri/Online.do. Please check that all columns are correctly and legibly filled and no column is left blank or unfilled/un-responded or vaguely filled with a dash, tick etc. Application for the service in any other form is not acceptable. Kindly ensure to mention one Indian and one local address in the Passport application form
- One passport size photograph. Photograph should be preferably in bright colour, against white background and should be of the size of 2inch x 2inch (Passport size). Photograph should have a frontal view, with both ears and chin to forehead being visible. Eyes should be open. There should not be any distracting shadows on the face or on the background. Head coverings are not permitted except for religious reasons, but the facial features from bottom of chin to top of forehead and both edges of the face must be clearly shown.
- Original passport of the applicant.
- A copy of first and last page of the current passport.
- A copy of legal status in Nigeria (CERPEC/Visa etc).
- Original CERPAC card
- Duly filled in Personal Particular Form 1
- Proof for stay abroad for over five years on the date of application
- A copy of local proof of address (A letter issued by current employer on the letter head etc.)
- in case of request for ECNR proof of stay abroad for three years or more or any other relevant document
- Annexure ‘E” Click here ( A Link may be created here)
- Lost/Stolen Passport: In case of lost/stolen passport original copy of police report regarding lost/ stolen passport and Annexure F (A link may be created here) are also required. The Police Report should contain the lost passport number.
- Re-issue of passport for minor: Consent of both the parents is required. Therefore, both parents should sign the application (as consent for issuance of a passport for the child) and (Annexure ‘D’ (a link may be created here) and provide copies of their identification proof (self-attested/signed), e.g. passport. However, in case of single parent, applicant’s parent has to produce (Annexure ‘C’ a link may be created here).
- Issuance of Passport to Child born in Nigeria: The Government of India has simplified the procedure for acquisition of Indian Citizenship by descent. The application is required to be filled online. The new procedure is available on MHA's website and the online form is available at (Click here, a link may be crated here) https://indiancitizenshiponline.nic.in/Home2.aspx?formcode=09
A hard copy of the online application for grant of citizenship under Section 4(1) of the Indian Citizenship Act, 1955 is to be submitted to the concerned Indian Mission/Post where the applicant was born along with birth registration fee of Naira 11,070/- (Fee Naira 10,250/- + Naira 820/- Consular surcharge). On the basis of above registration Birth Certificate will be issued by the High Commission. After getting the Birth certificate, passport for new born child may be applied.
Additional Documents required:
- Copy of the birth Certificates of the Child ( one issued by the High Commission and one by the concerned hospital)
- Copy of passport of both parents, copy of legal status of parents in Nigeria (CERPEC/Visa etc) and proof of local address.
- Copy of marriage certificate of the parents
- Declaration letter that child does not hold citizenship/passport of any other country
- Annexure C/Annexure D as the case may be
Processing Time :
Police Clearance Certificate (PCC)
- The processing time for normal passport is 5-7 weeks and only after the receipt of fresh Police verification report from India.
- Email/Telephonic intimation will be sent to the applicant once passport is ready for collection.
As per extant rules PCC for Indian nationals is issued only after receipt of fresh police verification on the PCC application. Applicants are requested to assess their requirements for obtaining PCC
for India well in advance and submit their applications accordingly.
• Fill in the application form https://embassy.passportindia.gov.in
• Affix recent passport size photograph
• A copy of first and last page of Indian passport of the applicant (original passport at the time of endorsement).
• A copy of legal status in Nigeria (CERPEC/Visa etc).
• A copy of local proof of address (A letter issued by current employer on the letter head etc.)
• Fee: Naira 9828 (Fee Naira 10,250/- + Naira 820/- Consular surcharge)
PCC request by foreign nationals who have previously resided in India
Fill in the application form (click here)
affixed with a recent passport size photograph, a copy of the proof of their stay in India (Visa/Entry/Exit Stamp /Passport) along with a copy current passport, proof of current address in Nigeria. PCC to foreign nationals to be issued after clearances from the concerned authorities in India.
: Naira 9828 (Fee Naira 9100 + Naira 728 Consular surcharge)